The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory, and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the world's largest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA. On Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
ESO's Department of Communication (COMM), jointly with the Office of the ESO Representative in Chile (REP) is planning campaigns aimed to increase the awareness of ESO among different target audiences in the Host Country Chile, while promoting the engagement of the public and giving visibility to initiatives implemented by the REP, particularly in the regions of Antofagasta and Coquimbo. To support these campaigns, ESO is advertising the position of:
Internship in Audiovisual Communication
COMM comprises more than 20 staff with a range of complementary expertise ranging from astronomy, writing, image processing, video production, publishing, web production, social media and design to event organization, and it is responsible for internal and external communication aspects for the organisation. The department operates a variety of social media channels (on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) to raise awareness of ESO, astronomy and the impact of the Organisation on society at large and to build engagement with international and Chilean audiences, in English and Spanish respectively.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will produce engaging audiovisual content and graphic material to support various communication activities. The audiovisual and graphic material will be aligned with ESO's social media and creative content strategies and guided by the Organisation's visual identity.
The main tasks and objectives are:
- Development of audio-visual materials and graphics for campaigns around the milestones of the ELT construction and other ESO activities in Chile, with focus on the regions that host its observatories.
- Develop short videos for campaigns and events, from script writing to filming and editing in different formats and channels (social media, YouTube, etc).
- Coordinate, film and edit interviews with ESO staff for campaigns and events.
- Attend team meetings and coordinate content production and strategy execution with the team.
- Support the communication team in Chile with project development related to social media, press and outreach strategies.
ESO Press Officer in Chile.
Key Competences and Experience:
Essential Competences and Experience:
- Knowledge and skills in filming and editing videos, as well as experience with the creation and edition of content in Adobe Suite are required.
- The candidate should have strong MS Office applications skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- The candidate should have interest in communicating sciences to the public.
- The candidate should be able to work in teams and to communicate effectively in an international environment, interacting and collaborating with people from different countries and cultures. The candidate should be proactive, and show creativity, an open and friendly attitude, good organizational skills and feeling comfortable working to deadlines.
- The candidate should have driving license.
Desirable Competences and Experience:
Graphic design skills to produce material for social media campaigns are highly desirable.
Candidates should have a degree in communication, ideally with an emphasis on audio-visual communication or be currently studying in the field.
The position requires being fluent in Spanish and English, both written and oral.
ESO offers a monthly allowance during the period of the internship, which will take place at the ESO's Offices in Vitacura, Santiago de Chile. The duration of the internship is 6 months.
ESO's Offices in Vitacura, Santiago, with travels to the observing sites (Antofagasta and Coquimbo regions).
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://jobs.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV.
Deadline for applications is 15 march 2024
Interviews are expected to start soon after this date.
An important element in any successful employment relationship is harmony in values between an organisation and its people.
The ESO values are:
ESO strives for excellence through innovation.
ESO provides outstanding services to its communities.
ESO fosters diversity & inclusion.
ESO believes in the key role of sustainability for its future.
Achieving the above are recognized as only possible on the basis of personal values and attitudes that we expect from our employees: respect, integrity, accountability, commitment, collaboration, and clear & open communication.
Applicants to any ESO role are asked to reflect on their affinity with these values and advised they may be asked about them if called for interview.
ESO has established diversity as an important value of the Organisation, is committed to providing an equal opportunities environment and is actively seeking to promote a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce. Please visit https://www.eso.org/public/about-eso/sustainability/dei-at-eso/ for further details.
No nationality is excluded, however non-Chilean applicants must have a pertinent working permit, according to Chilean regulations, at the time of the application. The post is equally open to suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity or religion.