The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory, and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the world's largest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA. On Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
The ALMA Technical Team (ATT) at ESO is a department in the EASC division. The ATT is responsible for specific hardware maintenance support and providing technical expertise to the ALMA observatory. It also manages hardware development projects and supports development studies, which are carried out with institutes in ESO member states.
Internship: ALMA Technical Team
To support the work of the ATT, we are looking to fill a short term (6 months maximum), part time (20 hrs per week maximum) position to carry out a specific task in relation to telescope friction test reports
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Access the ALMA Computerized maintenance management system to collect the Telescope friction test reports, the greasing and samples work orders
- Develop an Excel file including the grease data analyzed for trends by Telescope and date
- Review the data to find out any correlation between friction data and contamination or greasing frequency
Head of the Alma Technical Team Working with the EASC ALMA Maintenance Engineer
Key Competences and Experience:
- In-depth working knowledge of Excel
- Positive and flexible attitude to look into solutions for the presented problems taking into account the boundaries;
- Service and customer-oriented attitude;
- Ability to deliver against established deadlines
- Good communication skills, being able to interact with all stakeholders in a constructive way;
- Ability to work in an organised and accurate manner;
- Ability to work both independently with little guidance once initial work plans have been agreed;
Qualified candidates should be students in their second year or beyond, majoring in Mechanical Engineering or a related field of study.
The position requires an excellent working knowledge of English.
Remuneration and Contract:
ESO offers a monthly allowance based upon a fixed rate per hour of 15 Euro. With a maximum weekly work period of 20 hours this will equate to 300 Euro per week at a maximum. This is a fixed term opportunity for a maximum of 6 months
It is envisaged that this position will be able to work remotely.
If you are interested in contributing to the work of ESO and the ALMA Technical Team, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://jobs.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a short motivation letter and CV. Once applications have been reviewed selected candidates will be invited to a short interview/discussion regarding this opportunity soon after the deadline date.
Deadline for applications is 30/11/2023.
No nationality is in principle excluded, however, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Chile irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity or religion.