The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory, and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the world's largest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
Within its IT Department at its Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany, ESO is advertising the position of an
IT Specialist - Cyber Security
Are you a highly skilled IT cyber security specialist with a passion for protecting sensitive data and computer systems? We are looking for a cyber security-minded professional to join our IT team with the possibility to develop your existing skills further. As an IT cyber security specialist, you will play a crucial role in ensuring the cyber security of our sensitive data and IT infrastructure. Your expertise will be vital in protecting our Organisation against cyber threats and maintaining compliance with internal policies and relevant standards. You will work closely with your colleagues in IT and relevant stakeholders, helping to develop and implement cyber security measures to safeguard our computer systems and networks from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification, or destruction. We offer you the possibility to increase your existing skills by attending IT cyber security trainings, conferences, and workshops. If you have a strong understanding of risk assessment and management, as well as experience with a wide range of cyber security technologies and tools, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity to be a part of one of the leading astronomical organisations in the world.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As a member of the IT team at ESO Headquarters in Garching, you will work closely with all other IT specialists at the various ESO sites. The main duties and responsibilities of the position are as follows:
- Planning, coordinating and implementing preventive and reactive cyber security measures
- Monitoring and analysing cyber security breaches and investigating incidents
- Developing and maintaining cyber security procedures
- Coordinate the administration and maintenance of cyber security solutions
- Conducting regular cyber security audits and vulnerability assessments
- Training users on cyber security best practices and procedures
- Supporting IT colleagues and other departments with cyber security expertise
- Administering incident response and disaster recovery planning
- Staying up-to-date with the latest cyber security trends and threats
- Translating organisational requirements into technical solutions, e.g. data protection
- Collaborating with key stakeholders
Head of the IT Project and Security Group of the Information Technology Department within the Directorate of Engineering.
Key Competences and Experience
- Work experience: 3 years relevant working experience
- Technical knowledge: Being familiar with a wide range of cyber security technologies and tools
- Cyber Security solutions: Ability to configure and maintain cyber security-related devices and software
- Problem-solving: Ability to analyse and troubleshoot cyber security issues, perform incident response and disaster recovery planning, and implement cyber security controls to prevent future incidents
- Continuous learning: Keeping up-to-date with latest cyber security trends and threats, and continuously improve your skills through training and certifications.
- Communication and collaboration: strong communications and collaboration skills to work with cross-functional teams
- Experience with vulnerability scanners, email security, endpoint security, log analysis, SIEM, IDS/IPS, encryption
- Risk management: Understanding of risk assessment and management methodologies, and the ability to identify and prioritize potential security threats and vulnerabilities.
- Hands-on experience with data analytics
- Experience in implementing data protection requirements
- Scripting skills to automate repeating tasks
- Experience in technical writing
- Experience in a multicultural environment
- Familiarity with security in Microsoft Office 365 and Azure
A university degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) preferably with a specialisation in IT security. An IT security certification such as CISSP, CEH or CISM will be considered a strong asset. An ITIL certification would be useful.
An excellent command of the English language - oral, reading and writing - is essential. A knowledge of German or Spanish would be an advantage.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family.
ESO aims to support members of personnel in maintaining a good work-life balance (https://www.eso.org/public/jobs/conditions/intstaff/#work-life-balance) between their professional and private life. ESO is also committed to offering family-friendly support (https://www.eso.org/public/jobs/conditions/intstaff/#family-friendly-support), creating a work environment and policies which allow staff to balance their professional and private responsibilities through flexible working arrangements and financial support for families.
The contract is for a fixed term duration of three years, and is subject to successful completion of the probation period. There may be a possibility of extension(s) subject to individual performance and organisational requirements and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For any further information, please visit ESO's conditions of employment (https://www.eso.org/public/jobs/conditions/). Please note that the contract policy and in particular the regulations concerning fixed-term and indefinite contracts are currently under review which may lead to changes in the contractual conditions applicable to this position.
As soon as possible
ESO Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany. This position involves duty travel to the ESO sites in Chile.
Career Path: V
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://jobs.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Within your CV, please provide the names and contact details of three persons familiar with your work and willing to provide a recommendation letter upon request. Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
Deadline for applications is 28 May 2023.
Interviews are expected to start soon after this date.
An important element in any successful employment relationship is harmony in values between an organisation and its people.
The ESO Values are:
ESO strives for excellence through innovation.
ESO provides outstanding services to its communities.
ESO fosters diversity & inclusion.
ESO believes in the key role of sustainability for its future.
Achieving the above are recognized as only possible on the basis of personal values and attitudes that we expect from our employees: respect, integrity, accountability, commitment, collaboration, and clear & open communication.
Applicants to any ESO role are asked to reflect on their affinity with these values and advised they may be asked about them if called for interview.
ESO has established diversity as an important value of the Organisation, is committed to providing an equal opportunities environment and is actively seeking to promote a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce. Please visit https://www.eso.org/public/about-eso/sustainability/dei-at-eso/ for further details.
No nationality is in principle excluded from employment at ESO, however, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of our Member States, host states and strategic partners: Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Chile, irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity or religion.