The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At La Silla Observatory, ESO operates the 3.6m telescope, the foremost extra solar planet hunter, and the New Technology Telescope, with its ground-breaking active mirror. Both telescopes are soon to be equipped with new instrumentation: at the 3.6m telescope, NIRPS will extend HARPS radial velocity accuracy to the near infrared domain, while the NTT will be dedicated to the spectroscopic follow-up of transients, thanks to SOXS. In addition to the two ESO operated telescopes, La Silla hosts several smaller telescopes and instruments from different countries/institutes providing facilities (power, network, water, etc) and some technical support.
The La Silla Department (LSD) belongs to the La Silla Paranal Observatory, within the Directorate of Operations (DoO), and provides the technical support, the maintenance, and the day- and night-operations of the La Silla site including the ESO-operated telescopes and the hosted telescopes.
Within its Logistics Department at the La Silla Paranal Observatory, ESO is advertising a Local Staff member position of:
Head of Logistics and Hospitality
Within LSD, the logistics and hospitality manager is in charge of lodging, food services and travel, and related support activities: such as provisioning, communication, vehicle fleet maintenance.
Maintaining relationships with other ESO departments is part of the position (such as Finance, Procurement, etc.).
Supervision and active interaction with external service providers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervision of external services and contracts, such as food, lodging & cleaning; premises sanitization and disinfection; hotel machines maintenance; commuting services; sewage disposal; policlinic; vehicle maintenance.
- Supervision of reception desk
- Support communications acting as a central communication node
- Provisioning management of general articles, fuel, food.
- Transport and Logistics.
- Administration of facilities.
- Administration of LSD fleet of vehicles.
- Coordination of visitor arrival and departure.
- Budget preparation and control
- Keep logistics web site up to date
- Supervise recycling activities
- Security contract management
- Waste removal services
- Lead call for tender processes related to the services provided on site
The site manager of the La Silla Observatory.
Key Competences and Experience:
At least three years of professional experience in administration of multiservice contracts.
Desirable Competences and Experience:
- Capacity to work autonomously, in an isolated location.
- Able to strike a balance between effectiveness and internal clients' satisfaction
- Capacity to analyse situations and proactively identify areas where improvements can be made
- We look for highly motivated person with good interpersonal skills and ability to interact with multiple stakeholders, giving creative solutions sometimes under pressure.
We seek a professional with university degree in Administration.
Qualifications which would be an asset:
- Working knowledge in administrative computer tools (office tools, Travel tools, ERP)
- Good knowledge about the Chilean law of subcontracting
- Knowledge in hotel management
- Knowledge in travel management
ESO is an international organization where the official language is English. It is required that the candidate has a good command of written and spoken English.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary and educational benefits, as well as financial help in relocating the candidate's family, where applicable. The initial contract is for a period of two years with the possibility of indefinite extension, based on technical and managerial achievements.
Please see a summary at https://www.eso.org/public/archives/static/jobs/conditions/brochure-lsm-updated-jan2020.pdf
La Silla Observatory located 120 km north of the city of La Serena, Chile. The working schedule will be 5 days on duty and 2 days off duty (5x2) with accommodation provided on site.
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
ESO has established diversity as an important value of the Organisation; it is committed to providing an equal opportunities environment and is actively seeking to promote a diverse and inclusive workforce. The post is equally open to suitably qualified candidates irrespective of nationality, gender, age, disability, ethnicity, or religion.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://recruitment.eso.org/. Applications should include a motivation letter and CV in English. Interviews will be held in English.
Non-Chilean applicants to this role must reside in Chile and have a pertinent working permit, according to Chilean regulations, at the time of their application.
Deadline for applications is 28 January 2022.
Interviews are expected to start soon after this date.