The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory, and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the world's largest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
Due to the need for additional resources associated with the ELT Programme, within the Directorate of Programmes at its Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany, ESO is advertising the position of
ELT Documentation and Config. Management Officer
The ELT Documentation and Configuration Management Officer works under the guidance of the ELT Programme and System Engineers in managing the document archive and the product configuration repositories of the ELT Programme, to ensure that they are updated and accessible by the users whilst meeting required standards of accuracy, quality and integrity and enforces the documentation and configuration management processes as defined within the Programme.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The ELT Documentation and Configuration Management Officer is responsible, together with the ELT Document Controller, for keeping the ELT document archive updated according to the Programme evolution as well as for processing, archiving and making the documents available to the authorised users, in a timely, accurate and efficient manner. The ELT Documentation and Configuration Management Officer will also act as backup for the Document Controller during absence. He/She contributes as well to keep the configuration of the ELT products properly under control.
The responsibilities of the ELT Documentation and Configuration Management Officer include:
- Administer the ELT document archive through the ESO Product Data Management tool (PDM) by generating and maintaining folder structures, updating metadata and populating the folders according to the Programme evolution;
- Perform the quality control of documents, in particular checking the correctness of reference documents/versions, that the proper standard templates and lifecycles are used and that the configuration control rules relevant for documentation management are observed;
- Work in strict co-operation with the Work Package Managers and the Systems Engineering Team to ensure that the ESO documentation for procurements as well as the documentation provided by contractors is correctly stored in the ESO PDM system;
- Prepare Contract Data Lists (CDL) for procurements with the support of Systems Engineering and the Work Package Managers;
- Support the Work Package Managers in the processing and archiving of the documentation submitted by contractors or consortia cooperating with their documentation specialists ensuring it complies with the ELT documentation management requirements;
- Grant authorized users access to the archived documents in accordance with the defined confidentiality policies;
- Ensure that the ELT document archive is effectively used by continuously supporting and mentoring the users;
- Ensure that the documents go through a traceable and approved release process before being archived;
- Proactively propose improvements of existing documentation processes and suggest new ones to enhance quality or efficiency within the documentation management system;
- Coordinate with the ESO Information Repository Manager and System Administrator any required needs for additional features of the PDM tool and report anomalies and bugs;
- Coordinate with ESO Information Repository Manager and System Administrator user licenses, access groups and access profiles.
In addition, the ELT Documentation and Configuration Management Officer will:
- Support the tasks related to the management of the ELT products configuration, by essentially keeping the repositories updated with the relevant information;
- Support the management of the ELT products location;
- Contribute to optimize the configuration and location management processes and the associated tools;
- Assist the Work Package Managers to ensure that the configuration managements processes are properly followed;
- Occasionally provide support for administrative tasks: duty travel organisation, purchase orders, shipping requests, etc.
The tasks are not limited to the above and a flexible approach and willingness to adapt is required.
The ELT Programme Engineer
- Proficiency in Electronic Documentation Management;
- Knowledge of Configuration Management principles;
- Detail-oriented, well-structured, dependable and trustworthy;
- Excellent communication skills with a high degree of diplomacy when interacting with users;
- Ability to build and maintain positive service-oriented relationships with users and staff from various professional disciplines;
- Ability to adapt to changing procedures and to proactively identify ways to optimise current processes;
- Ability to rapidly acquire and process information from the various stakeholders and adapt to ESO specific context and environment including ESO's matrix structure.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member and in a timely manner;
- Self-directed and highly motivated;
- Able to work in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment.
- At least three years of experience in a similar function, in the field of database and/or information management;
- Familiarity with configuration management processes maintenance, improvements;
- Farmilarity with technical documentation (ideally in the fields of Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Commissioning and/or Operations);
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office Suite, in particular Excel;
- Knowledge of Adobe Acrobat PDF and electronic signature requirements;
- Knowledge of Product Data Management (PDM) tools.
- Familiarity with BlueCielo Kronodoc environment;
- Proficient with ad-hoc administrative support tasks;
- Familiarity with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tools;
- Experience of working within an international and multi-cultural environment.
Bachelor degree ideally in a relevant subject (records management, technical writing, documentation, library and/or information sciences), or a degree plus relevant extensive practical experience and evidence of continuious professional development.
The position requires an excellent command of the English language both written and orally. Additional knowledge of other European languages, such as Spanish and/or German is considered an asset.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family and the possibility to place your child/children in daycare.
ESO aims to support members of personnel in maintaining a good work-life balance (https://www.eso.org/public/jobs/conditions/intstaff/#work-life-balance) between their professional and private life. ESO is also committed to offering family-friendly support (https://www.eso.org/public/jobs/conditions/intstaff/#family-friendly-support), creating a work environment and policies which allow staff to balance their professional and private responsibilities through flexible working arrangements and financial support for families.
The contract is for a fixed term duration of three years, and is subject to successful completion of the probation period. There is a possibility of extension(s) subject to individual performance and organisational requirements, in particular for the ELT Programme, and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For any further information, please visit ESO's conditions of employment (https://www.eso.org/public/jobs/conditions/) Please note that the contract policy and in particular the regulations concerning fixed-term and indefinite contracts are currently under review which may lead to changes in the contractual conditions applicable to this position.
Garching near Munich, Germany with possible duty trips to all ESO sites in Chile.
Career Path: IV
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://jobs.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Within your CV, please provide the names and contact details of three persons familiar with your work and willing to provide a recommendation letter upon request. Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
Deadline for applications: 31 October 2021.
Interviews are expected to start soon after this date.
ESO has established diversity as an important value of the Organisation, is committed to providing an equal opportunities environment and is actively seeking to promote a diverse and inclusive workforce.
No nationality is in principle excluded, however, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Chile irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity or religion.