The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory, and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the world's largest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
For its Infrastructure Department in Santiago, within the Directorate of Administration, ESO is advertising a Local Staff member position of:
Facilities Technical Assistant
The selected candidate will provide support to the Santiago Facilities Administrator in technical activities such as inspections, maintenance of buildings and equipment, documentation, development and analysis as well as records keeping. The person will also help the Administrator with various contracts' management, in particular to ensure agreed upon activities are timely and properly performed.
Additionally, the candidate will carry out several administrative tasks outside the premises before the corresponding entities, such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, "Caja de Compensación", banks, etc., besides collaborating with different ESO departments.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cooperate with the daily supervision of contracts pertaining to General Services;
- Collaborate in the development of technical and safety documentation related to Facilities field of action
- In charge of facilities' electric installations;
- Contribute with technical expertise during call for tender processes;
- To help in detecting improvement opportunities within Vitacura facilities;
- Assist in emergency management aspects;
- Run official errands upon request by authorized Departments and manage the corresponding database.
Santiago Facilities Administrator.
Key Competences and Experience:
Essential Competences and Experience:
- Experience in the field of electric maintenance;
- Availability to provide assistance during emergency interventions, including outside normal working hours;
- Ability to work autonomously;
- Capacity to evaluate different situations and properly address them in order of priority;
- Disposition to hear out and ponder users' views.
- Service oriented;
- Ability to clearly and unequivocally convey a message, especially in written form;
- Driving licence B.
Desirable Competences and Experience:
- Experience in dealing with errands before official administrative entities.
Essential educational level. Electrical Technician, with 5 years of experience in maintenance.
Qualifications which would be an asset:
- Data base management.
- Experience in ERP, Office, and Graphic Software tools.
ESO is an international organization where the official language is English. It is required that the candidate has a good command of written and spoken English.
Remuneration and Contract
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary, comprehensive maternity-parental, educational, and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating the candidate's family, where applicable. Please see a summary at https://www.eso.org/public/archives/static/jobs/conditions/brochure-lsm-updated-jan2020.pdf
The initial contract is for a period of two years with the possibility of extension, subject to evaluation.
The position will be based in the ESO Vitacura premises located in Santiago. The working schedule is Monday to Friday.
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details. Non-Chilean applicants to this role must reside in Chile and have a pertinent working permit, according to Chilean regulations, at the time of their application. ESO is committed to equal opportunities. The post is equally open to suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://recruitment.eso.org/.Applications should include a motivation letter and CV in English. References may be required. Interviews will be held in English.
Deadline for applications is 29 October 2020.