The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries. ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany. At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the world's largest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory. For its Office for Science Department (OfS), within the Directorate for Science (DSc) at its Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany, ESO is advertising the position of
Information Systems Specialist
As part of the Library and Information Centre team, the Information Systems Specialist participates in all ongoing projects and develops, maintains, and further enhances the existing information systems. Applying new technologies in an evolving environment according to the needs of the ESO management and users, the successful candidate ensures the continued optimisation of the systems.
The Library and Information Centre enables access to information resources and scholarly communication tools, maintains the ESO telescope bibliography (telbib) software, develops productivity measures for projects and facilities, and provides ESO's DOI (Digital Object Identifier) infrastructure. In order to ensure this, open source software is applied and tailored as needed by the technology specialists team.
The Library and Information Centre is also in charge of the organisation-wide product and document management system (PDM) which guarantees that ESO's documentation is up-to-date, accessible, preserved, and auditable. Working with the PDM Manager, the successful candidate reports opportunities for enhancements of current practices and implements solutions. Based on existing policies as well as feedback from users, and using her/his database experience in setting up and operating content management systems, she/he documents configuration changes and visualizes them through appropriate systems. Using her/his expertise in classification systems, she/he assists users in establishing department-specific repository workspaces and develops and applies routines for the efficient transfer of existing documents into the repository. With a strong focus on user requirements, she/he promotes the organisation-wide use of the repository through training sessions. She/he is one of the central contact points for repository users throughout the organisation.
If feasible, the Information Systems Specialist identifies synergies between the library, repository, and other databases and implements data mappings.
Experience in collection management activities including acquisition, cataloging, document delivery, and search assistance is beneficial to ensure that Library users find the necessary assistance. These tasks are shared across a team.
- Maintain and further enhance the ESO telescope bibliography (telbib) software, develop additional modules as needed, derive complex statistics, visualize and document them regularly or on request
- Manage and handle ESO's DOI (Digital Object Identifier) infrastructure; enable the deployment by new user groups at ESO
- Maintain various Library-administered tools (library catalog a.o.), build databases, develop and implement workflows as needed
- Occasional library collection management including acquisitions, cataloging, technical books and journal services, and document delivery
- Prepare and hold training sessions
- Operate and administer the ESO-wide repository (system configuration, establishment of new workspaces, user licenses, external access)
- Implement policies and procedures defined by the Information Repository Manager and the Stakeholders Committee
- Develop and apply routines for efficient migration of existing documents, as well as macros for the integration of incoming documents
- Document the system configuration and create schematic and visual representations of the repository structure
- Identify opportunities for the implementation of data mappings between the repository and other relevant systems, and follow up on progress
- Act as the deputy for the Information Repository Manager in case of absence, or as required
- Troubleshoot problems in cooperation with IT and the software vendor
The successful candidate provides user assistance and helpdesk services to Library and PDM users.
The tasks are not limited to the above and additional small projects may occur to run the OfS and the DSc.
Head Librarian and Information Repository Manager
Key Competences and Experience:
Essential Competences and Experience:
- Proven expertise in database administration, scripting languages and indexing tools, in particular PHP, MySQL
- Proven knowledge in the configuration and operation of Information and Content Management Systems
- Excellent command of MS Office suite, in particular the creation of macros in Excel and Word
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a small team, and in a timely manner
- Excellent analytical and technical skills
- Solution-oriented and service-driven
- Self-directed, highly motivated, and interested in further developing existing systems to enable more efficient use
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in an international, fast-paced, and deadline driven environment
- Experience in user support and helpdesk activities
- Flexible approach and willingness to adapt
Desirable Competences and Experience:
- Knowledge of Sybase databases as well as Python and Apache/Solr
- Experience with current library technologies, platforms, and products that support information access and discovery
- Experience with BlueCielo ECM or other EDMS
Master or equivalent degree in library and information sciences, records management, documentation, or equivalent.
Excellent command of the English language - oral, reading and writing - is essential. Knowledge of Spanish would be an asset.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family and the possibility to place your child/children in daycare. The contract is for a fixed term duration of three years, and is subject to successful completion of the probation period. There is a possibility of extension(s) subject to individual performance and organisational requirements, and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For any further information, please visit ESO's conditions of employment. Please note that the contract policy and in particular the regulations concerning fixed-term and indefinite contracts are currently under review which may lead to changes in the contractual conditions applicable to this position.
The position is based in Garching near Munich, Germany, with occasional duty trips.
Career Path: IV
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details. Applicants are invited to apply online at http://jobs.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Within your CV, please provide the names and contact details of three persons familiar with your work and willing to provide a recommendation letter upon request. Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
Closing date for applications is 24 April 2020.
Starting Date: As soon as possible
No nationality is in principle excluded, however, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Chile irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.