The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries. ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in the Atacama Desert region of Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnator. The ESO headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre European Extremely Large Telescope, which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
For its Human Resources Department in Chile, within the Directorate of Administration, ESO is advertising the position of:
Human Resources Assistant
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The HR Department provides client-oriented service to managers and staff employed at ESO within Chile. The selected candidate will be mainly responsible for:
- The preparation and running of monthly payroll, including social security and tax payments
- Maintenance of the "presence recording" system in a dedicated module of the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tool
- Overseeing the reimbursements of the ESO Welfare Fund through an insurance company
- Running and preparation of reports/statistics from the ESO ERP system
- Involvement in salary studies, data management and statistical analysis
- Providing support in matters of HR administration/ Social Security as and when required.
The selected candidate is a member of the Human Resources Chile team and reports to the HR Local Staff Member Team Leader.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Service-oriented and problem solver
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a proactive, tactful and diplomatic way
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to multitask and a flexible approach to learning new tasks
- Good time management to prioritise work and meet deadlines
- Ability to analyze and present information in a clear and logical manner
- Ability to work independently and within teams
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail and organizational skills
- Capable of responding efficiently under pressure and high workload.
The selected candidate should have at least 5 years of working experience with a proven track record of running payroll and handling general HR tasks. Knowledge of regulations of the Chilean Social Security system is highly beneficial. Knowledge of the rules and regulations of ESO desirable but not essential.
- Technical or University degree with specialization in Administration or ideally Human Resources
- Good IT skills covering Microsoft Office packages
- Experience with electronic payroll systems and/or Enterprise Resources Planning systems (ERP)
As ESO is an international organization where the official language is English, it is required that the candidate has a very good working level of written and spoken English. Knowledge of Spanish is not mandatory, but willingness to learn is important.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary, comprehensive maternity-parental, educational, and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating the candidate's family, where applicable. See a summary at https://www.eso.org/public/archives/static/jobs/conditions/brochure-lsm-final-sp-updated-feb2019.pdf
The initial contract is for a period of two years with the possibility of extension, subject to evaluation.
The position will be based in the ESO Vitacura premises located in Santiago. The working schedule is from Monday to Friday. Occasional travel to the sites of ESO observatories may be required.
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
Non-Chilean applicants to this role must reside in Chile and have a pertinent working permit, according to Chilean regulations, at the time of their application.
ESO is committed to equal opportunities. The post is equally open to suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://recruitment.eso.org/. Applications should include a motivation letter and CV in English. References may be required. Interviews will be held in English.
Deadline for applications is 18 February 2020.