The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries. ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in the Atacama Desert region of Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnator. The ESO headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre European Extremely Large Telescope, which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
For its Office for Science Department, within the Directorate for Science at its offices in Santiago de Chile, ESO is advertising the position of
Librarian and Conference Logistics Expert
The postholder will be affiliated with the Office for Science in Chile, and will work in close collaboration with the Library and Information Centre team at the ESO Headquarters in Garching near Munich, Germany. The Library and Information Centre enables access to information resources and scholarly communication tools, maintains the ESO telescope bibliography (telbib), and develops productivity measures for projects and facilities. It is also in charge of the organization-wide product and document management system (PDM) which guarantees that ESO's documentation is up-to-date, accessible, preserved, and auditable.
The job profile of the Librarian and Conference Logistics Expert is two-fold: (a) Management of the ESO Chile Library, and (b) handling conference logistics for meetings hosted and organized by ESO Chile in Santiago and other Chilean cities in close collaboration with Administrative Assistant of the Office for Science Chile.
Managing the ESO Chile Library includes, but is not limited to, technical book and journal services, document delivery, and user assistance. Specific acquisitions, using a small dedicated budget, and cataloguing may occur on request of users. The successful candidate is the expert for ESO Chile and Garching in the use of the Zenodo platform for hosting conference presentations and posters. Thanks to her/his knowledge of trends and developments in publishing and scholarly communication, the Librarian and Conference Logistics Expert is able to promote the Library's expertise in these fields. She/he proactively suggests improvements of tools and services to ensure their continued relevance, and provides support to library users looking for assistance and advise.
In close collaboration with the Administrative Assistant of the Office for Science Chile, the successful candidate assists in the preparation and execution of scientific conferences organized by ESO Chile. In particular, she/he creates and maintains the conference website, using ESO's web content management system, along with other tools. Based on requirements defined by the Scientific Organizing Committee, she/he handles conference announcements and manages participants' registrations, including the related communication. She/he attends the events in order to staff the registration desk and provides logistical support during and after the conference.
As it is intended to centralize also the technical maintenance of scripts used to populate the Zenodo platform and maintain specific databases and tools in the ESO Chile Office for Science, knowledge of scripting and query languages (e.g., PHP, MySQL) would be an asset.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Library users regarding information retrieval, document delivery, and trends in publishing and scholarly communication
- Acquire, catalog, and process items based on user requests
- Update ESO's Integrated Library System (Koha), including occasional cataloging, patron management, and checkouts
- Occasionally update website and databases with information about the Library, science staff, and the Office for Science
- Track completeness of journal volumes, claim missing issues, prepare periodicals for bookbinder
- Manage the Library space, including its use for occasional presentations and other events
- Apply and promote ESO's use of the Zenodo platform as "Conference Proceedings 2.0" repository
- Prepare and hold training sessions, e.g., during ESO's Onboarding classes for new staff.
- Create conference webpage based on requirements and input from conference organizers at ESO, using ESO's web content management system (Adobe Experience Manager)
- Provide varied logistical support during preparation phase, e.g. distribution of conference poster to Chilean institutes
- Manage registrations, including participants lists, collection of registration fee, and tracking of submitted abstracts and manuscripts
- Communicate with invited speakers, participants, and sponsors regarding conference logistics
- Provide assistance with hotel, travel, and other bookings of participants, if needed
- Staff registration desk during event
- Compile conference contributions and prepare upload to Zenodo.
The tasks are not limited to the above and a flexible approach and willingness to adapt are required.
Head of the Office for Science Chile.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively and in a timely manner
- Solution-oriented and service-driven approach
- Self-directed, highly motivated, structured, and organized
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Ability to work in an international, fast-paced, and deadline driven environment.
Degree in library and information sciences, or equivalent. Willingness to self-study. Willingness to travel occasionally.
- Experience with current library technologies, platforms, and products that support information access and discovery
- Experience with library collection management activities, including cataloging, acquisitions, patron management etc., using an Integrated Library System
- Knowledge of current developments in publishing and scholarly communications
- Knowledge of HTML and experience with Content Management Systems (e.g., Adobe Experience Manager)
- Excellent command of MS Office suite, in particular Excel and Word.
- Experience in user support and helpdesk activities;
- Knowledge of the Zenodo open access repository;
- Knowledge of scripting and query languages (e.g., PHP, MySQL)
ESO's official working language is English. Candidates must possess an excellent command of Spanish and English language (Oral, reading, and writing).
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary, comprehensive maternity-parental, educational, and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating the candidate's family, where applicable. Please see a summary at https://www.eso.org/public/archives/static/jobs/conditions/brochure-lsm-final-sp-updated-feb2019.pdf
The initial contract is for a period of two years with the possibility of extension, subject to evaluation.
The position will be based in the ESO Vitacura premises located in Santiago. The working schedule is from Monday to Friday.
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details. Non-Chilean applicants to this role must reside in Chile and have a pertinent working permit, according to Chilean regulations, at the time of their application.
ESO is committed to equal opportunities. The post is equally open to suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.
Applicants are invited to apply online at https://recruitment.eso.org/. Applications should include a motivation letter and CV in English. References may be required. Interviews will be held in English.
Deadline for applications is 13 March 2020.