The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory, and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the world's largest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
For its IT Department in the IT Group in Chile, within the Directorate of Engineering, ESO is advertising the position of
IT Specialist - Infrastructure
We are looking for an IT Specialist to support ESO in Chile and Germany, providing expertise to ESO Projects, programmes and collaborations, all of this ensuring user satisfaction, continuous operation and appropriate project completion.
Are you passionate about Information Technology and are you looking forward for new challenges working in an exciting scientific environment supporting some of the world's biggest observatories? Would you like to work in a real international environment, with real teamwork, in a department that has staff originating from eight different countries and is spread over multiple sites on two continents; in a team of specialists delivering IT services in an evolving technological landscape? Would you like to shape your future with the opportunity to use your own experience to develop IT Infrastructure related strategies, to apply state-of-the art technologies and learn about the latest innovations; joining technology conferences. We will provide you with on the job training from IT Specialists within the IT department and depending on your experience we will provide a tailored development plan within IT.
The IT Specialist for Infrastructure is part of the IT Group in Chile working in close collaboration with the La Silla, and Paranal Observatory Departments, the IT Group in Garching and external service providers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, organise, produce, deliver and monitor the evolution of IT Services according to ESO IT standards and requirements from users and the organisation;
- Take responsibility for all aspects of Service delivery for your appointed IT Services;
- Provide technical guidance to an outsourced team focused on delivering technical services;
- Operation of data centre facilities;
- Manage computing, storage and virtualized infrastructure;
- Lead or contribute to IT projects;
- Selecting and implementing hardware solutions.
Head of IT Group Chile of the Information Technology Department within the Directorate of Engineering.
Key competences and Experience:
- Five years of experience in IT infrastructure;
- Hands-on experience in data centre management;
- Hands-on experience in systems management of Linux server, storage and VMware environments;
- Experience in managing, planning and documenting projects;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills, in particular in contributing to multicultural teams;
- Service oriented attitude, working with stakeholders on all ESO sites;
- Has a desire to learn new things and able to understand complex operational environments and scientific applications.
- Hands-on experience in backup management;
- Preparation and management of maintenance contracts;
- Experience in technical writing.
University degree in Computer Science or equivalent. Certifications in Linux and VMware will be considered a strong asset. ITIL certification will be desirable.
As ESO is an international organization where the official language is English, it is required that the candidate has a good command of written and spoken English. Knowledge of Spanish is not mandatory, but willingness to learn is important.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family (if needed). The initial contract is for a period of two years with the possibility of an indefinite extension, subject to evaluation. The title or grade may be subject to change according to qualification and the number of years of experience.
ESO Vitacura Offices in Santiago, Chile. This position involves regular duty travel to the observatory sites in Chile and eventually to the headquarters in Germany.
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit (http://www.eso.org) for further details. Applicants are invited to apply online at http://recruitment.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV (in English).
Deadline for applications is 15 February 2020.
No nationality is excluded, however non-Chilean applicants must have the pertinent working permit, according to Chilean regulations, at the time of the application. The post is equally open to suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.