The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory, and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the world's largest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
For its IT Department, within the Directorate of Engineering at its Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany, ESO is advertising the position of an
IT Specialist - Security
We are looking for an IT Specialist to provide IT Services and Security Technology support to ESO and ALMA providing expertise to ESO projects, programmes and collaborations, all of this ensuring user satisfaction, continuous operation and appropriate project completion.
Are you passionate about IT security and are you looking for new challenges working in an exciting scientific environment supporting some of the world's biggest observatories? Would you like to work in a real international environment, with real teamwork, in a department that has staff coming from eight different countries and is spread over multiple sites in two continents; in a team of specialists delivering IT Services in an evolving technological landscape? Would you like to shape your future with the opportunity to use your own experience to develop IT security related strategies, to apply state-of-the art technologies and learn about the latest innovations; joining IT security conferences. We will provide you with on-the-job training from IT Specialists within the IT department and depending on your level of experience, we will provide a tailored development plan in IT security.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
In joining the IT team at the ESO Headquarters, Garching, you will work closely with all other IT specialists spread over the various ESO sites. The main duties and responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Design, organise, produce, deliver and monitor the evolution of IT Services according to ESO IT standards and requirements from users and the Organisation;
- Responsibility for all aspects of service delivery for your appointed IT Services;
- Define, develop and implement an IT security strategy and roadmap involving all relevant stakeholders;
- Lead or contribute to projects implementing new IT security solutions;
- Identify IT security threats and develop mitigation strategies;
- Support your IT colleagues in system hardening;
- Prepare guidelines, deliver training and provide advice to ESO users, service owners and the outsourced IT operations team;
- Develop, implement and optimize IT security incident management;
- Check compliance with applicable information security regulations;
- Define, create and maintain IT security related procedures;
- Prepare, monitor and report IT security related KPIs;
- Perform security assessments, coordinate audits and manage the remediation of security issues.
Head of the Central Strategy & Governance of the Information Technology Department within the Directorate of Engineering.
Key Competences and Experience
- Early career experience in IT security best practices and technologies for protecting large IT environments involving a heterogenous client landscape;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Familiarity with current threats and trends in IT security;
- Experience in managing, planning and documenting projects;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills, in particular in contributing to global teams;
- Has a desire to learn new things and able to understand complex operational environments and scientific applications.
- Experience with vulnerability scanners, email security, endpoint security, log analysis, SIEM, IDS/IPS, encryption, IDM;
- Ideally 1-2 years working experience within the IT security sector;
- Hands-on experience with data analytics;
- Scripting skills to automate repeating tasks;
- Experience in technical writing;
- Experience in a multicultural environment.
A university degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) preferably with a specialisation in computer security. An IT security certification such as CISSP, CEH or CISM will be considered a strong asset. An ITIL certification would be useful.
An excellent command of the English language - oral, reading and writing - is essential. A knowledge of German or Spanish would be an advantage.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family and the possibility to place your child/children in day care.
The contract is for a fixed term duration of three years, and is subject to successful completion of the probation period. There is a possibility of extension(s) subject to individual performance and organisational requirements, and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For further information, please view https://www.eso.org/public/jobs/conditions/intstaff/.
As soon as possible
ESO Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany. This position involves duty travel to the ESO sites in Chile.
Career Path: IV
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit https://www.eso.org/ for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at https://recruitment.eso.org. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Within your CV, please provide the names and contact details of three persons familiar with your work and willing to provide a recommendation letter upon request. Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
Deadline for applications is 31 October 2019.
No nationality is in principle excluded, however, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Chile irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.