The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory, and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the world's largest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
Within the Directorate of Administration at its Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany, ESO is advertising the position of
Assistant to the Facility Management
ESO is looking for a qualified assistance for the Facility Management, Logistics and Transport department (FLT). FLT operates and maintains the ESO facilities, grounds and infrastructure, provides support to ESO staff with all necessary facility management services, is responsible for technical installations as well as the handling of transport and logistical issues and coordinates activities within an off-site warehouse.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Day-to-day administrative assistance to the FLT department.
- Supporting the daily administrative operations of the FLT department: purchase orders, shipping requests, leave requests, mail and telephone inquiries etc;
- Handling of all requests in the Enterprise Resource Planning - ERP (Navision) system.
- Supporting the handling of ESO apartments.
- Managing the key and access cards system.
- Waste management and recycling concept.
- Coordinating and running the copy shop.
- Coordinating the ESO car pool.
- Updating the room allocation and building plans.
- Point of contact for ESO staff for all questions related to the FLT department.
- The tasks are not limited to the above and a flexible approach and willingness to adapt are required.
Head of Facility Management and Logistics.
Key Competences and Experience:
Essential Competences and Experience:
- Very good organisational skills and able to work on a wide range of activities.
- Ability to balance conflicting demands and priorities, and to work under time pressure.
- Client oriented with excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Efficiency in working both on own initiative and within teams in an international and multicultural environment.
- Experience in working together with external contractors and companies in an international environment.
- Practical, solution-oriented and supportive attitude.
- A very good knowledge and experience of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office is essential (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.).
Desirable competences and experience that are not mandatory but considered an asset:
- Willingness to acquire new skills and keep up-to-date with the tools used in the daily work, as well as to adapt to new procedures and identify means to optimise the daily workflows.
- Clear and precise communication style, both in written and oral form and ability to communicate to colleagues at all levels.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Experience in handling of key system and access cards.
- Minimum eight years of experience in the field of assistant facility management or as an administrative assistant.
The candidate must have completed secondary school education and formal training in the commercial or administrative field, formal training in the field of facility and/or hotel management is considered an asset.
The position requires very good working knowledge of English and German both written and oral.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family and the possibility to place your child/children in daycare.
An initial International Staff Member contract is offered for a fixed term duration of three years. There is a possibility of extension(s) subject to individual performance and organisational requirements and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For any further information, please visit ESO's conditions of employment.
Garching near Munich, Germany.
Career Path: II
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://jobs.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Within your CV, please provide the names and contact details of three persons familiar with your work and willing to provide a recommendation letter upon request. Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
Closing date for applications is 1 September 2019.
Interviews are expected to start soon after this date.
No nationality is in principle excluded, however, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Chile, irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.