The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory, and will host and operate the southern array of the Cherenkov Telescope Array, the world's largest and most sensitive high energy gamma-ray observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
Due to the need for additional resources associated with the responsibilities of the ESO ALMA Support Center, for its ALMA Technical Department, within the Directorate of Operation at its Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany, ESO is advertising the position of
Technical Writer - Document Specialist
The Technical Writer - Document Specialist is responsible for releasing the updated versions of the maintenance manuals of the ESO deliverables to ALMA and for managing the ESO ALMA Support Center (EASC) work-area of the ESO document repository system.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The main tasks include:
- Supporting the reviews of the maintenance procedures of the ALMA antennas and transporters;
- Collecting the inputs from the maintenance crew at ALMA the observatory and complete the new release of the Antenna Maintenance Manual;
- Supporting the release and deployment of the new Antenna Maintenance Manual;
- Proposing and implementing the structure of the ESO document repository system for the EASC work-area;
- Coordinating the selection and mass-upload of the ALMA construction documentation into the ESO document repository system;
- Supporting the EASC with the management of the EASC work-area in the ESO document repository, the creation of document templates and the follow-up of approvals and life cycles.
Head of the ALMA Technical Team (ATT) in the ESO ALMA Support Center Division (Directorate of Operation).
Key Competences and Experience:
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe FrameMaker;
- Very good command of the English language - oral, reading and writing;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to anticipate/identify problems and provide workable solutions independently.
- Two years' experience in a similar role;
- A working knowledge of Spanish language would be beneficial.
Technical Writing diploma or equivalent.
The position requires a strong command of the English language. Spanish language skills would be an advantage.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive health insurance, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family and the possibility to place your child/children in daycare.
The initial contract is for a fixed term duration of one year with the possibility of a fixed-term extension subject to individual performance and organisational requirements and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For any further information, please visit ESO's conditions of employment.
Garching near Munich, Germany with occasional duty trips to ALMA Observatory in Chile.
Career Path: IV
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit ESO Home Page for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online via our ESO Recruitment Portal. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Please also submit an example of a technical document that you have written (preferably in English). Within your CV, please provide the name and contact details of a person familiar with your work and willing to provide a recommendation letter upon request. Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
Deadline for applications is 9 June 2019.
Interviews are expected to start soon after this date.
No nationality is in principle excluded, however, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.