The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre European Extremely Large Telescope, which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
Due to the need for additional resources associated with the ELT programme, for its Facility Management, Logistics and Transport (FLT) group within the Directorate of Administration at the Headquarters in Garching near Munich, Germany, ESO is advertising the position of:
The FLT department operates and maintains the ESO facilities, grounds and infrastructure, provides support to ESO staff with all necessary facility management services, is responsible for technical installations as well as the handling of transport and logistical issues and coordinates activities within an off-site warehouse.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparation and coordination of courier services plus air and sea cargo assignments including the processing of complex associated paperwork such as completing /tracking shipping requests, organising transportation and coordinating deliveries.
- Weekly preparation of a highly confidential and secure package delivery process between the ESO Headquarters and the Chilean offices based in Santiago, as well as the various Observatory sites via air-container and involving the special preparation of airfreight documentation and lists required by respective national authorities.
- Track shipment and receipt of goods.
- Act as the responsible contact person for ESO staff for all aspects concerning freight forwarding and logistical issues.
- Manage an efficient in-house distribution service of incoming deliveries.
- Transport parcels and cargo goods to the local post office and forwarding agents.
- Fully responsible for the coordination of ESO's online shop and Visitor Centre shop including stock storage areas.
- Stocktaking, purchase and administration of office supply replenishment.
- Act as a backup to provide seamless coverage and support during the absence of other colleagues where possible and particularly for the coordination of internal/external removals and facility management related tasks (e.g. international staff joining/ leaving ESO, coordination of janitor and catering support etc.).
- Contribute ideas for improvements and develop current processes in line with best practice standards and legislative requirements.
- The tasks are not limited to the above and a flexible approach and willingness to adapt is essential.
Head of Facility Management and Logistics Group
- Minimum five years of experience as freight forwarding logistics officer.
- Experience with import and export activities, intensive knowledge of customs clearing process for shipments including HST codes / rules and regulations.
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office tools (Word and Excel).
- Knowledge of a personnel databases or enterprise resource planning system (Navision) is considered an important advantage.
- Knowledge of packaging and loading regulations including safety aspects associated with the handling of dangerous goods.
- Experience in working with external contractors and companies in an international environment.
- Solid knowledge and experience in freight forwarding activities to/ from South American countries would be desirable.
- Analytical and problem-solving attitude with a collaborative approach towards colleagues and clients.
- Is highly structured, organised and has a strong ability to plan and execute own work under conflicting priorities to achieve timely and precise results.
- Willingness to acquire new skills and keep up-to-date with the tools used in the daily work, as well as to adapt to new procedures and identify means to optimize current activities and workflows.
- Be pro-active and work as part of a team.
- Build effective links with other teams and external partners and find consensus so that problems can be resolved.
- Service orientation, flexibility, good communication skills and the ability to work independently.
- Be able to collaborate with people from different cultures.
- The candidate must have completed secondary school education and professional training in the field of Freight Forwarding and Logistics.
- Valid license for forklift trucks and cars.
The position requires very good working knowledge of English and German both written and oral.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family and the possibility to place your child/children in daycare.
The contract is for a fixed term duration of three years, and is subject to successful completion of the probation period. There is a possibility of extension(s) subject to individual performance and organisational requirements, in particular for the ELT Programme, and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For any further information, please visit https://www.eso.org/public/jobs/conditions/intstaff/.
Garching near Munich, Germany.
Career Path: II
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://jobs.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Also required, within your CV, are the names and contact details of three persons familiar with your work and willing to provide a reference upon request. Referees will not be contact without your prior consent.
Deadline for application is 31.12.2018.
No nationality is in principle excluded however, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.