The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre European Extremely Large Telescope, which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
For its Office for Science Department, within the Directorate for Science at its Headquarters in Garching, near Munich, Germany, ESO is advertising the position of
Information Repository Manager and System Administrator
The postholder will join the Library and Information Center team. ESO is extending the existing technical documentation system to an organization-wide document repository. The Information Repository Manager and System Administrator will define policies and procedures for the ESO-wide document repository, and chairs a committee of stakeholders. In order to deploy the repository across the organization, she/he enables the creation of repository workspaces and develops and applies strategies for the efficient upload of existing documents.
In close cooperation with repository users, the Information Repository Manager and System Administrator identifies opportunities for enhancements of existing practices and will, if feasible, implement solutions, using her/his database expertise and experience in system configuration.
She/he coordinates activities with other stakeholders of the repository at ESO Garching and Chile. She/he is also the liaison between ESO and the vendor of the repository software.
The Information Repository Manager and System Administrator takes an active role in promoting the use of the repository throughout the organization, for instance through group and/or individual training sessions and by acting as a central contact point for repository users. She/he oversees the budget allocated to the repository.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organise the establishment of an ESO-wide document repository, operate and administer it;
- Chair a committee of repository stakeholders;
- Enable the creation of repository workspaces, with initial support from external consultants;
- Develop and apply routines for efficient migration of existing documents into the repository;
- Implement improvements in system configuration, based on requirements of repository users, if feasible;
- Liaise with the vendor of the repository software;
- Promote the use of the repository throughout the organisation;
- Act as a central contact point for repository users, identify user needs, prepare and hold training sessions;
- Carry out complex and unusual transactions within the repository where necessary;
- Oversee the budget allocated to the development of the repository;
- The tasks are not limited to the above and a flexible approach and willingness to adapt are required.
- At least three years of experience in database management and system configuration;
- Knowledge of programming languages desirable;
- Experience in using and customising document repositories;
- Experience with BlueCielo PDM desirable;
- Proven ability to develop and coordinate projects;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Conceptual thinking, solution-oriented;
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member and in a timely manner;
- Superior analytical and technical skills;
- Self-directed and highly motivated;
- Interested in further developing existing systems to enable more efficient use;
- Excellent communication skills and high degree of diplomacy when interacting with stakeholders;
- Ability to build strong collaborative working relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds and disciplines;
- Ability to adapt to changing procedures and to proactively identify ways to optimise current processes;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment;
- Willingness to work at all levels to "get the job done".
Master's degree in records management, documentation, or library and information sciences or similar
Excellent command of the English language - oral, reading and writing - is essential.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family and the possibility to place your child/children in daycare.
The contract is for a fixed term duration of three years, and is subject to successful completion of the probation period. There is a possibility of extension(s) subject to individual performance and organisational requirements, and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For any further information, please visit ESO's conditions of employment.
Garching near Munich
Career Path: V
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at http://jobs.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Within your CV, please provide the names and contact details of three persons familiar with your work and willing to provide a recommendation letter upon request. Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
Closing date for applications is 31st August 2018
Interviews are expected to be held soon afterwards.
No nationality is in principle excluded however, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of Australia, Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.