The European Organisation for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere (ESO) is the foremost intergovernmental astronomy organisation in Europe and the world's most productive ground-based astronomical observatory. ESO carries out an ambitious programme focused on the design, construction and operation of powerful ground-based observing facilities enabling astronomers to make important scientific discoveries.
ESO operates three unique world-class observing sites in northern Chile: La Silla, Paranal and Chajnantor (home to ALMA and APEX), and the ESO Headquarters are located in Garching, near Munich, Germany.
At Paranal, ESO operates the Very Large Telescope, the world's most advanced visible-light astronomical observatory. ESO is a major partner in ALMA, the largest astronomical project in existence. And on Cerro Armazones, ESO is building the 39-metre European Extremely Large Telescope, which will become "the world's biggest eye on the sky" and whose operations will be fully integrated into the Paranal Observatory.
For its Internal Audit Department at the Headquarters in Garching near Munich, Germany, ESO is opening the position of
The Internal Audit Office independently reports to the Director General. The Internal Auditor supports the Head of the Internal Audit Office in a vast range of activities, from reviews of accounting records to assessing whether procedures comply with policies and rules and to analyse if activities are conducted efficiently or effectively. The main tasks are to review the reliability and integrity of financial and operating information, to review the efficiency and economy with which resources are employed and to review the internal compliance with rules and regulations of the organisation. In order to do so, audits are performed according to an audit plan approved by the Director General.
Furthermore, the Internal Auditor will assist the external auditors in their missions to review costs claims related to funding obtained through the programmes of the European Union and provide the required audit certificates.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Issue audit reports and presentations with results and recommendations to the management;
- Development of sustainable control improvements;
- Undertake cross-functional audit work;
- Communicate, interview and interact with personnel and management at various levels across the organisation and in other locations;
- Perform audits in a professional manner and in accordance with the IIA Standards;
- Risk and control assessments to evaluate risk, determine control objectives and verify the extent to which control techniques meet business objectives in the organisation;
- Managing missions for advising on risk management, governance and compliance;
- Exercise a significant level of responsibility for the provision of accurate, professional and timely audit related services within the organisation;
- Additional and/or ah-hoc tasks as assigned;
- Willingness to travel.
Head of Internal Audit Office
- At least 3 years of work experience in the field of internal auditing or similar within an international environment;
- Experience in writing reports improving governance and internal control through relevant recommendations;
- Auditing methods;
- Professional experience in the field of controlling/accounting would be advantageous;
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc) is essential.
- Logical thinker with excellent organisational skills;
- Ability to provide clear, concise and timely oral and written communications to colleagues at all levels and external contacts;
- Willingness to acquire new skills, keep up-to-date with the tools used in the daily work;
- Adapt to new procedures and proactively identify and implement ways to optimise current processes and workflows;
- Ability to work both on own initiative and within teams in an international and multicultural environment;
- Result-oriented, proactive, highly motivated and creative, delivering prompt and efficient service on multiple audit plans under tight deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal skills, discretion and diplomacy.
- University degree (Bachelor and/ or Masters) in economics law;
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) and/or Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) would be advantageous.
The position requires an excellent working knowledge of English. German and Spanish would be beneficial.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary (tax free), comprehensive pension scheme and medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial help in relocating your family and the possibility to place your child/children in daycare.
The contract is for a fixed term duration of three years, and is subject to successful completion of the probation period. There is a possibility of extension(s) subject to individual performance and organisational requirements, and as defined in the applicable policies and staff rules and regulations. For any further information, please visit <http://www.eso.org/public/jobs/conditions/intstaff>.
Garching near Munich, Germany with regular duty trips to all ESO sites in Chile.
Career Path: IV
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit <http://www.eso.org> for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at <http://jobs.eso.org/>. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Also required are the names and contact details of three referees. These referees may be contacted at the end of recruitment process, but not without your prior consent.
Closing date for applications is 5 July 2017.
Interviews are expected to start soon after this date.
No nationality is in principle excluded. However, recruitment preference will be given to nationals of Austria, Belgium, Brazil, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
The post is equally open to suitably qualified female and male applicants.