The Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) is the world's preeminent facility for millimeter and submillimeter-wave astronomy with transformational capabilities to study the origin of galaxies, stars and planets. ALMA consists of 66 antennas located on the Chajnantor plateau, 5000 meters altitude in northern Chile, and equipped with receivers covering atmospheric windows between 30 and 950 GHz. ALMA is a partnership of ESO (representing its member states), NSF (USA) and NINS (Japan), together with NRC (Canada), MOST and ASIAA (Taiwan), and KASI (Republic of Korea), in cooperation with the Republic of Chile.
ESO, NSF and NINS have each designated an Executive (ESO, AUI/NRAO and NAOJ, respectively), as their legal representatives, to carry out and manage tasks and responsibilities on their behalf. The Joint ALMA Observatory (JAO) in Chile, staffed by the Executives and headed by the ALMA Director, provides the unified management and leadership of ALMA operations and development. The ALMA Board, responsible for governance and oversight and consisting of members representing the parties, Executives and astronomy community, invites applications for the position of ALMA Director. The successful applicant will be expected to take up the post on 1 April 2018, when the current ALMA Director completes his term.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct the JAO, leading and managing operations in Chile, and working with and coordinating the Executives' off-site operations activities;
- Prepare and execute an annual budget and long-range plan;
- Participate in the promotion of ALMA and its science program;
- Report to, and implement the decisions of, the ALMA Board;
- Chair the Director's Council, consisting of representatives of the Executives;
- Allocate observing time;
- Develop and maintain the vision and overall direction of the ALMA development program
- The candidate should meet the following qualifications:
- Extensive management experience at a senior level with a proven record of scientific leadership;
- Strong awareness of the major areas of research and future developments in astronomy, emphasizing millimeter and submillimeter wavelengths;
- Ability to communicate the scientific vision of the ALMA project to the various funding agencies and to the scientific community;
- Sensitivity to the diverse cultures of the partners, with demonstrated excellent negotiation and influencing skills to take account of stakeholder concerns and interests and to promote contact and collaboration with key international partners;
- Ability to lead by influence rather than using direct line management authority;
- Capable of leading, supervising, coordinating and evaluating staff from diverse cultural backgrounds, while promoting a good team spirit;
- Demonstrated flexibility to adapt quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements;
- Excellent command of the English language is required; knowledge of Spanish is an asset.
The duty station is Santiago, Chile, and frequent travel to the ALMA observatory sites, other locations within Chile, and internationally is required. The Director must be able to function at the altitudes of the observatory and support facility sites (5000-m and 3000-m respectively).
01 April 2018
Application and Contract:
The ALMA Director will be employed by either ESO or AUI/NRAO or NAOJ. Each of these organizations offers attractive remuneration packages including a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and financial support in relocating families.
A search committee has been constituted by the ALMA Board to evaluate applications for the ALMA Director position, and to recommend a short list of candidates for Board consideration.
INTERESTED CANDIDATES SHOULD SUBMIT THEIR CURRICULUM VITAE, A MOTIVATION LETTER, AND THE NAMES OF THREE REFERENCES WHO MAY BE CONTACTED ABOUT THE QUALIFICATIONS OF THE CANDIDATE, TO THE CHAIR OF THE SEARCH COMMITTEE DR. DAVID SILVA AT firstname.lastname@example.org
. THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS SHOULD BE USED FOR ANY QUESTIONS RELATED TO THE POSITION.
Closing date for applications:
All materials submitted electronically by 31st March 2017 will receive full consideration.
The post is equally open to suitably qualified female and male applicants.